Author Topic: Redstone Quarry in N. Conway  (Read 5182 times)

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
Redstone Quarry in N. Conway
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
I wanted to post this stuff but never got a chance. Now that I'm out of work, I have time, I just have to figure out how to attach the pictures.

On Dec 5, my friend Randy and I went to this spot in N. Conway that he called Redstone quarry. It was a very cool place because all of the equipment and buildings are still in place even though it hasn't operated since the 1920's. Check out the size of the lathe. They used it to turn HUGE granite pillars. Imagine a 30 ton piece of granite spinning on a lathe! I wish I could have seen that!

A pillar that cracked and was abondoned. I wonder if someone got in trouble for this?

A giant blank ready for the lathe?

The old office inside and out

One of the Lathes

Cut offs

Old steam engine

Latrine

Rough lathe

This place really made me think about the men who must have worked for decades up here. I think it would have been something to talk to someone who worked here, although I'm sure they must be long gone by now. Definitely worth an hour to walk around up there!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:17:58 AM by jmckook »

Gatto

• Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Redstone Quarry in N. Conway
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »
Working for Fleicher Granite I have seen modern lathes but they don't look anything like that. I wounder how many seat in the outhouse.                 

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Redstone Quarry in N. Conway
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
I think there were 5 stalls and a couple of bathtubs to pee in.