Author Topic: Greenway Trail  (Read 1446 times)

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
Greenway Trail
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
I'm interested in doing the Greenway (Monadnock to Sunapee) trail in Early Summer after the mud is done. Has anyone done it that can give me some info? It doesn't seem too rediculous. I thought if I push I could do it in 2 long days. The guide book says 4 to 5 but you know how those things are. Impossible? should I allow 3? Is it a fun Hike? Is north-south better? Any info would be great! Thanks

Gatto

• Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Greenway Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
I did it  last june RAIN  and BUGS. Did it in three days. Started at the north end . I thought the trail was well marked but the grass was high and my boots were always wet, so I also wear my sandals for a few miles.O ya two ticks and bring bug juice.

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
I want to start at the north, too. Hope I get good weather. Was it easy in 3 days? I want to try 2. How were the shelters? Just wondering. Too lazy(and broke) to buy the guide book.

Gatto

• Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »
I thought of doing it in two days, but when I really thought about carrying overnight gear and food for two days, it seemed more reasonable to make it three days. One reason is my feet are not what they used to be. Also this was my first time on this trail so I wanted to injoy it,the rain also didn;t help.The first night I stayed at the Max Israel Shelter second night at Fox Brook Campsite in the pooring rain in a tent on a platform. With the hollowing cyote. Your welcome to use my guide book and maps, I do think you should take the map.

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
Thanks Gatto. Will probably be in June.

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
From the     Fastest Known Time Website:   FKT
Josh Ferenc & Greg Hammett, 9h30m04s, May 10, 2008.

The Monadnock-Sunappe Greenway Trail (MSGT) is a 48 mile long hiking trail that links Grand Monadnock with Mount Sunapee in southwestern New Hampshire. It winds along the Monadnock Highlands that divide the Connecticut and Merrimack River drainages. It is maintained by the Monadnock-Sunappe Greenway Trail Club.

Josh Ferenc & Greg Hammett ran the trail from north to south in 9h30m4s on May 10, 2008. Their trip is reported in the August issue of Trail Runner Magazine.

On May 2, 2002, Sue Johnston and Hans Put ran the trail in 13h5m. Though "not a super stellar time" (Johnston's words), this appears to be the women's FKT.

Looking at the map, I was thinking if you stash your Camping and Day 2 supplies near the junction of Rt 123 or 31  you could make way faster time on day 1
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/