Author Topic: New Balance 610 Gear Review  (Read 2692 times)

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
New Balance 610 Gear Review
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »

I’ve been trail running in New Balance 476 Trail Runners for 4 years now and was happy to find a shoe perfect for my style.  The 476 shoes worked well for me even on long day trips like the 32 mile pemi-loop and the presidential traverse.  The 476 is apparently no longer available to my disappointment.  So I tried the 610 's.  The 610 are more stiff and less cushioned and I was not comfortable in them at all.  In addition they have a piece of shock cord that runs along the outside.  Which is kind of dumb for trail runners because it can get caught on twigs and roots that are common on trails.

Yesterday (Day 2 on my new 610s) I went out for a 4 mile run over both Uncanoonuc Mountains

When I was buying these shoes my wife had mentioned that she thought that the piece of cording would catch on stuff on the trail.  And sure enough that’s what happened.  While running down south mountain a root on the trail got caught up in the cording sending me down to the ground pretty hard.  It tore the cording off and I fell on my right side.   I bloodied myself up pretty good on my right shin and forearm.  I took this pic of the torn cord right after I fell and my lens had dust all over it from falling on it so it’s kind of blurry.

Bad idea for running in the woods.

Needless to say these are going back to the store and I'm going to have to find a new running shoe that works for me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:04:32 PM by surf88 »
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/