Author Topic: Mighty Hunter, Yes?  (Read 987 times)

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
Mighty Hunter, Yes?
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
This might be a little off topic for the typical trip report, but I was so stoked I had to post a brief report. I started hunting last year and took about 15 trips into the woods, but came up empty. This year, I did quite a bit more preparation as far as scouting, and thought I had a pretty good game plan going into opening day.
    up at 4 am, I met my brother and we hiked into our spot about 1/2 mile in. James continued another 1/4 mile to his spot and I climbed into my tree stand at about 5:30 and waited for the sun to rise.
    At 6:30 I saw a buck that I now think was the one I later shot, running after a doe at full speed only 20 yards away! I really had no chance to hit him, so I waited. An hour or so later he came back around and walked right behind me. He was headed away from me and I thought that once again, I wouldn't get my shot so I just watched him. Finally, when he was about 35 yards away, he came broadside and I had my chance. He ran probably 50 yards and dropped. I had hit him in the lung area and he dropped pretty quick.
    Thank goodness for James, because being colorblind, I found it hard to follow the blood trail to where he finally laid down. We found him about 1/2 hour after the shot and he had expired.
     We had a tough time dragging him all the way back to the truck, so I drove in a ways on the atv trail we'd followed out. I really couldn't have done this without the help of my brother, Thanks Jimmo.
     We had him weighed in and tagged in Weare at 3 corners. 164 lbs. not too bad...

He is hanging at a friends house who is set up better than I am and we are going to butcher him tomorrow night. Thanks to my friend John who is helping me with this part of the process.

Here is the only picture I have from the day, smile says it all, Very excited!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:17:41 PM by surf88 »

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Hunter, Yes?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »
Awesome. I want a bite! 
Ps i fixed your picture
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/

cliftongord

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
That's sweet. Did you touch it's eyeball?
watch your top knot.

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »
Of course I did!
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
Cliff, I still have the head, eyes and all, if you'd like to have a go.

cliftongord

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
You should make head cheese
watch your top knot.

jmckook

• Guide
    • View Profile