Author Topic: The LBRT part 1 the Good  (Read 2131 times)

freak

• View Profile
The LBRT part 1 the Good
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
This is a trip from last year. It is worthy of being told and we could all use a few sunny day pics right now. I am new at posting pics so I will likely screw up.
May 4 2013 RichGlide, Boogman, Luca (woof) and myself headed up The Precious Stone trail to take a Flight down the other side. The weather was perfect and this was going to be the some of the last top to bottom skiing left (without trampling all over plants to access ski runs) . We rock hopped and tread lightly off the trail to access the destination and found several others already there....some leaving to find other spoils.
This was Lucas first big mountain snowboard trip and he was pretty fired up to go so we did not waste much time. Amazing run.
Luca got a lot a cheers from the others who were hanging out as he chased me to the floor of the trail. We hiked back up and he pretty much passed out while we drank some poor man Black n Blues (PBR and Guiness).
We decided to take a stroll over to MB and try our luck over there. Once we got to LOC hut we found that there were acres of crumholtz shrubs to crush to get to MB so bailed on that plan and opted to traverse over to AMMO.
Ammo was pretty much spent by this time and in hindsight it was not a good call. It was a lot of effort to get to a small amount of vertical. We reached the end of the line at the waterfall and were making our way around that on foot. Thats when Poo Poos happend

freak

• View Profile
Re: The LBRT part 1 the Good
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
The Bad
So after working my way over some trees likely toppled by an avalanche I am standing at the bottom of a waterfall. It is falling into an open hole in the snow and then disappearing under the snowpack again. Stunningly beautiful.
Suddenly I hear Boogman shout "Loose Board!" and I turned to see his precious (beat up POS) snowboard gliding unaided across the snow.
Ever so slowly the thing ghost rides itself right into the open hole in the snow dropping several feet and disappearing into the raging water under the snow pack.
NOOOOO! tell me that did not just happen......Well boogman looks like you got to take advantage of the spring sales buddy.
From that point on we really could not ride due to conditions. Crossing the river on that snowpack was scary stuff but we made it down laughing the whole way.

really hoping boogman can chime in with some pics of the gravesite for his precious board.

freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
The Recovery
On Wed of that week I get a call from Boogman. "I cant leave my board up there, and you hate littering, so we gotta go back and get it"
Me: Seriously? The thing is under a glacier of snow.......Boogman: we gotta try
And so the Lost Board Recovery Team (LBRT) was born. We are kinda like the Avengers.....but no super powers.....we can just be easily persuaded to do stupid adventures....especially when beer is involved. We also have headlamps.
That week it got into the mid 70's and blazing sun every day. There was one problem....even if the snow did melt out enough....and we should happen to stumble upon it....how can it be retrieved from a absolutely raging river......hmmmm....we put our best engineers on the problem.
Enter the Board hook...adjustable to 15' long and doubles as walking sticks for easy traveling. Damn those guys are good. Tony Stark you got nothing on us.

So as it turns out Rich Glide could not make the trip so it was just Boogman, Luca and me against the raging river.
Of course the weather turned bad for that one day and it was cold and rainy to start. Well that is what the Black n Blues are for.
At the gem pool we cut over to the river and started rock hopping up it. "Man, where did all the snow go" I wondered.....It took us quite a while to make our way up the mtn. and we searched the whole way....the board could be anywhere.

A note on the board: in its current state it is more epoxy than board. Those who purchased stocks in Devcon corporation (makers of fine epoxy) may have boogman to thank for an surge in stock prices in the last few years as he purchased the stuff by the gallon. (tip: you may want to sell stock now cause he got a new board anyhow). I have seen the board several times with more wood clamps on it than Norm Abrams has at his disposal.

We finally hit a narrow spot in the river and there were steeper walls on either side. Ok go left cause there is less vegitation on that side.....Umm we did not think about the mud slides.....run away......ok try right, carefully pick way thru the dense brush up the steep wall......after much cursing we again "run away".
Ok. we are wet, cold and the beer is running low. "Boogman you gonna buy a new board or what?"
"One more try"....right up the middle.....where the raging river is...only there is a little sliver of snow that we might squeeze by on. Sure enough we get around a blind corner and bang, a giant snowfield. Seems the snow melted everwhere but here....where we are both certain the board is still  buried.
Discouraged we cross the glacier of snow. Suddenly Boogman spots his "Precious". It is getting pummeled with cascading water and is wedged nearly upright against some rocks and snow.
The board hook is quickly deployed and the board is plucked out of its icy grave. There was much rejoicing.

The LBRT  "we find em"

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:29:44 AM by freak »

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
Awesome report!  Should stay a little fatter than that this May.  Hopefully.
I'm easily pursueded into stupid adventures myself.  Hence my signature.  Haha.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:35:49 PM by surf88 »
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/

boogbell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I cannot upload photos and any help would be appreciated. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??
I've clicked on attachments and browse for the photo but then I cannot link it into the post? I've clicked the image icon and  I get the following syntax but no photo (img)(/img) ???
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:17:34 PM by boogbell »

boogbell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
I may have just figured out that until I post it I don't see it:) Test photo went through. Will work on this tonight! Testing with another photo.

Heading up river
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:29:10 PM by boogbell »

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
I added the attachments option for adding photos easily, it even automatically resizes them, for some of the less techy members.  Its easy but not the best way to add photos to a Trip Report.  The best way is to upload them to a host like flickr and follow the instructions in my How to Tutorial

http://www.outdoortripreports.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »
This reportage has given me the bug to want to go make some west side turns.  One of my best days ever was up there

West Side 4/3/10

My Blog:

boogbell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks for the photo uploading information. That was my first trip to the West Side last year and was really hoping to get over there again this year. This post was forwarded to me last night from T4T about Ammonoosuc Ravine and doesn't appear to have the same snowpack as last year. However, I tend to have a more optimistic view than others so maybe it's not as bad as they suggest?

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15931

Speaking of optimistic! Wondering if there are any more turns available at the U for Friday? I was there with Freak and RichGlide on this past Saturday AM and still had good coverage but was thinning in areas. I still see white from ManchVegas so hoping for the best:)

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
Speaking of optimistic! Wondering if there are any more turns available at the U for Friday? I was there with Freak and RichGlide on this past Saturday AM and still had good coverage but was thinning in areas. I still see white from ManchVegas so hoping for the best:)
I'm going to try to make a trip Thursday evening.  Its hard to make concrete plans these days, if I do I'll let you know how conditions are.

My Blog:

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
I'm going to try to make a trip Thursday evening.  Its hard to make concrete plans these days, if I do I'll let you know how conditions are.
Went up tonight.  Chat Noir is your best bet.  Everything above the big traverse should still be in for several more days.  After the traverse there is about 100' of vert that is bare, and then your good to the road.

My Blog:

boogbell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Chat Noir? Not quite sure where that is but glad to hear you got some turns. Freak and I hit Magic Mountain on Friday instead and I wasn't able to get over Saturday or Sunday. I can no longer see snow from Manchester and that's depressing. I cannot complain since I had a great time this year and found a new way (new to me) down to the road by the lower lot.
The only names I know are Guidos which I found a few years back bushwacking up along the Red Trail in the fall. I've skied it a few times but not the best for snowboarding. I know the fields and I think they're called Texas Mansion but we've been calling it Playboy Mansion for some reason?? We did find some trail markers on skiers left of the White Trail a total of 3 them with 2 pointing left and the 3rd pointing right. Could this be Chat Noir or does this trail have a different name?

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
If you saw this you were on Chat Noir

My Blog: