Author Topic: 2015 Blizzard Powder Harvest  (Read 956 times)

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
2015 Blizzard Powder Harvest
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
We received about 15 inches of snow from the Blizzard on Tuesday.  Wednesday morning I ventured out solo into the local backcountry.  I brought both my AT skis and my splitboard, but I decided to splitboard because the consistency of the snow seemed to be more how I like it for snowboarding. I Made 2 summit to road runs one on the Chat Noir side of the mountain and one down the Son of Guido Trail.  The top 100 vertical feet of the mountain tended to be a little scratchy due to having less base and  the high winds carried a lot of the snow away.  In the Hemlocks it was only about 6 inches deep in spots.  But lower on the mountain conditions were epic.  Knee deep Dry Powder made for some of the best turns I’ve made in a while.  After 2 runs I went home grabbed some food and then headed back up the hill again with Jeremy.  Jeremy used my Icelantic Nomads and we hit up the other side of the mountain for 2 more runs.  Here’s some pics of conditions.  I’ll try to add some video later.
The wind had its way with the snow up high making for thin cover in spots

But down lower its was lovely

“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Blizzard Powder Harvest
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Video
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
2015 Powder Harvest
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:06:16 PM »
The recent blizzard gave us another foot of snow, and then turned on the wind machine. I went out for a lap yesterday and one this morning.  Wow it was cold out there.  We have enough snow now that pretty much everything is in play.  You really don't even need to follow the cleared glades because most brush is buried now.  You really do have to stick to the steep stuff though or else you get too bogged down in the powder.

My Blog:

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
2015 Powder Harvest - Running Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
The parade of storms and arctic weather has made for amazing conditions, however it starts to become a little bit of a grind getting out and making your turns in subzero high wind days.  Yesterday we woke up here to 4 new inches of fluffy pow on top of our 4 feet of soft snow we had already received, but yesterday for the first time in a while the temps climbed to above the freezing mark.  I went out around 1pm and the sun was out the skies were blue and the skiing was great.  Even though I was once again skiing alone I found myself hooting and giggling like a crazy person at how good it was.  I took a few runs through a steep section of the mountain that in past years was unskiable due to rocks and boulders.  I rode skis today because I wanted to hit some trails that had flat run outs that would be a no go on the snowboard.  Skis ended up being a good decision and it ended up being one the best times I’ve ever had on skis.
The multiuse trail was groomed for a quick ascent skinning with my alpine touring gear.

I was surprised how much fresh was still available for how late in the day I got out.

My Blog: