Author Topic: Moosilauke 9/4/15  (Read 670 times)

surf88

• Global Moderator
  • Guide
    • View Profile
Moosilauke 9/4/15
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
As I packed my backpack for an overnighter on Moosilauke I thought to myself, wow you don't need much stuff for summer backpacking.  Its been a while since I did an overnighter that I wasn't carrying winter gear, or winter gear plus backcountry skiing gear.  I got so caught up in doing big mileage days that I just pack light for, that its been a while since I just took a day to enjoy a mountain and spend the night in its woods.
I took my time getting out the door friday morning and got up to the trailhead for Beaver Brook at about 10:30 friday morning.  I hiked up to the shelter and dropped off my pad and sleeping bag.  There were a couple of north bound thru hikers hanging out and a southbounder who had spent the night there.  I ended up talking with them for a bit before heading off to the summit.  On the way up to the summit I heard someone ask me “ hey, are you Jan?” as I passed by. It was Rodney, a highschool clasmate from 20 years ago, he and his two sons were out for a hike.  I hung out with Rod for a little bit  before heading to the top. I hung out on the top for quite a while, the views were absolutely amazing, the weather was warm and there was no wind.  It was fun to be there on such a nice day and watch thruhikers reach the top and get their first real view of The Whites, none of them were dissapointed with the view of friday.
Beaver Brook Trail

Summit

As I left the summit I experienced a little natural phenomenon that was really cool.  Even though there was no wind I could here the grass blowing really loud, I looked off the side of the trail and about 50 feet away there was spot about 20 feet in diameter that there was a mini twister going on.  I walked over to it, and I stepped into it.  The winds instantly felt like they were in the 40mph range, I was able step out of it and watch it slowly move away.  I now wish I had thought to video it, I could have sent it to Ginger Zee :)
I hiked down to the shelter and took it easy for the rest of the day and did some reading.  To my surprise no one else showed up and the only company I had for the night was a little brown mouse.  Everytime I saw him I would quote the Gruffalo and say “Where are you going to little brown mouse?”
Beaver Brook Shelter

"Where are you going to, little brown mouse?
Come for a feast in my logpile house."

With no wind being alone in the woods get a little creepy, but also beautiful because you can hear every little twig break and every little animal scurry. The night never got as cold as was forecasted which was a little unfortunate because the mosquitos never went away, in fact they got worse to the point that at about 3AM I got sick of being bit and packed up.  I headed down in the dark, and then slept in the back of my car until 6:30.  Then I went to Pegs for Breakfast.
“Hey, is anyone up for a really stupid adventure? I sorta have an idea where we’re going, but really don’t know if we’ll get there or how this will work out. You have a headlamp right?”

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/posts/